Thursday, February 25, 2010

Stress as an Optometry Student vs. Stress before life as an optometry student

I don't know how many of your are wondering about our stress levels in optometry school, but in case you are, here is a little snip.

Keep in mind, every student has different levels of stress and handles it differently. I would like to classify myself as the type of student who cannot function without being stressed, and when I am stressed, I stress even more because I am stressed :)

If you are that type of person, please continue reading!

Stress Before life in optometry school:
-one or two pimples
-sleep cycle interrupted for a few days
-dreaming about my exams
-eating habits change (i.e increase in carbs, sugars)
-Exercised consistently
-still making straight As

Stress my first 2 quarters of optometry school
-talking about material I have learned at parties (non-academic), restaurants, the movies, shopping trips, out with friends
-dreaming about studying for 5 exams; so I am basically just dreaming that I am studying, and when I wake up I am studying...24-7
-sleep cycle is corrupted the whole quarter, literally. I was sleep at about 3 or 4AM and waking up at 7 or 8AM for lecture
-cystic acne made residence all over my face ( i have never broke out like this before)
-hormonal imbalances
-mood swings
-straight A's were so undergrad
-social life does not exist until the next break
- I stopped excercising consistenly because i felt like I was wasting studying time

But, if I could do it all over again I WOULD. believe me or not. I love optometry school. It brings out the best in me and the worst of me, but mostly the best of me. 

4 comments:

  1. And which school are you at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am at SCCO (Southern California College of Optometry). www.scco.edu :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh snap...
    I study better under stress too, but that just seems too intense haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. True..it does, and it is, but it's very possible. It is just a rough journey...:)

    ReplyDelete

Please post and questions or comments you may have!