Friday, September 3, 2010

Optometry admissions Interviews

I received this comment awhile back and I thought I would answer it. I apologize for not answering in a timely manner!


"hi! how were your interviews when applying to schools? overall were they daunting? more comfortable than you anticipated? how many per school? how did you prepare?"

I only applied to two schools. I got an interview with the school of my choice, which was SCCO.  The other school I applied to was UHCO. I only applied to UHCO for my parents.

SCCO Interviews

Very difficult interview compared to most optometry schools.  The reason for this is because they have an academic criteria and a interview criteria that composes your overall score for admission into the school., They are seeking well rounded students who are not only academically capable of completing optometry school, but are socialable, compassionate, and well-spoked students/doctors.
I would say it was daunting for me. It took me 3 weeks to prepare for this interview. I went to an Admissions workshop at SCCO in the summer to help guide me, with the types of questions and how to answer questions in a specific format.  I had my family and boyfriend tape me in a mock interview with them so that I could view my body language, facial expressions, tonality, posture, and overall presence.  Always remember to smile!  I went over numerous potential questions and wrote out my answers, and would recite them in a mirror.  I also did a lot of research about both schools I applied to; a lot of questions can arise from here.
On the day of my interview, I was very nervous at the beginning, but once I felt comfortable, I took control of the conversation, and I felt at ease and was no longer nervous.


At UHCO, I heard a lot of rumors.  A true one that I know, is that their interviews are not as challenging as SCCO. SCCO is known for having difficult interview processes.  UHCO, most likely if you get and interview, you get in, 51% chance.  Their interviews are more of conversations about yourself. 

In my interview at SCCO, I was asked an ethical questions and questions about professionalism.



You want to wear a suit, ladies and gentlemen.  You want to bring your best and look your best.  Have fun, but remain calm and professional.  Know and research the school you are applying to, this is expected of you. 

I hope this helps!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post and questions or comments you may have!