Saturday, September 12, 2009

Weekly Exams, Lab, & Clinic :)

So for your first year at SCCO, they ease you in by giving you 1 exam per week. I think there is one week where we do have two exams, but other than that, it is one exam per week! It is doable, but it's a LOT of material !!!

I just had an eye movements exam on Wednesday, which went pretty well! BUT, I have a Biochem exam this upcoming Monday! Oh dear! So I have been studying for it since Wednesday night, but increasing my intensity as the week moved along. A lot of it is review from undergrad, but the problem is, I took Biochem 2 years ago, so I have to refresh my memory.

Our Biochemistry ( or SCCO calls it Biological Sciences) lecture is once a week; it is a grueling three hour long lecture! Even the professor is tired by the second hour, lol. I don't think the incoming class of 2014 will have to take this course since it is now a required pre-req, lucky!!!
Eye Movements Lab

This was the only lab this week that was not canceled in lieu of Labor Day. It was actually a fun lab this week! My lab partners and I got to run basic tests to observe the different classes of eye movements on each others eyes. My favorite eye movement are the Saccadic ( which are fast twitches/jerks) eye movemnts. Here are some photos of the experiments we did in lab :

Vestibulo-Ocular
Response



















Optokinetic
Response















Optokinetic
Response
















Fixational
Eye Movements



















Clinic

This week in clinic we were able to use 4 different optical instruments instead of shadowing interns. It was fun to "puff" each other's eyes with the NCT ( Non-Contact Tonometer) and take AR readings ( Automatic refraction). We also used the Visual Field FDT and the Optos machine. Those of you who work for optometrists might have used these machines before.

2 comments:

  1. Wow-three hours of biochem? youre a trooper! im wondering if itll still be a part of first year curriculum next year-since biochem is now a pre-req for SCCO.

    p.s. thanks for sharing your blog with us! i find it incredibly interesting and helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, you guys are lucky!!! No biochem or micro lecture, but I am sure they will expect you to already know your material well! No problem!!! Glad to do it!!! Keep checking! I try to update every Saturday!

    Good luck with admissions!

    ReplyDelete

Please post and questions or comments you may have!